21 February 2009

Be happy with him, dadgummit!

One thing I try not to be is one of those "helicopter parents." I don't hover over my children. I actually try to keep a pretty reasonable distance most of the time. I like watching them interact with each other as well as other people. I want them to learn people skills and conflict resolution and all that good stuff. Most of the time, it's just fun to see how much they've changed in just a brief period of time. How Sadie responds when Jackson says, "C'mere Sadie" or "No, Sadie" or "You stay right here Sadie." (Yes, he treats his sister much like a family pet in training. But it's cute. She likes it. Trust me.) How Jackson loves being involved in EVERY conversation and activity in our house..."Where are we going?" ..."What are you thinking about?" ..."It's okay momma. It was just a accident."


But when Jackson interacts with kids his age, there is one thing that I have a hard time keeping my distance with. It isn't when the kids don't share. He's not great at sharing either. Or when they get rowdy and accidentally hurt him. He's not especially rowdy, but he's a boy and accidents DO happen. The thing that really hurts my heart more than anything else is when someone stomps out his joy.

I'm not talking about when he doesn't get his way and he pouts. I'm talking about that childhood joy that sometimes just comes bubbling out of him. He has this light in his eyes that he just can't help but share. An excitement. Pure joy. But just as soon as he lets that light shine on someone else--and they don't react accordingly--the brightness dims just a little. Then a little more. And then it's replaced with disappointment, or even worse, hurt.

When I see that look, it takes every bit of restraint I have to keep from wrapping him up in my arms, while at the same time yelling at the offender, "Say something NICE to him! Acknowledge him! Be happy with him, dadgummit!"... But I know Jackson would look at me like I was a freak, and it wouldn't solve the problem. He has to learn to be happy regardless of the world around him. Fortunately (for me at least), he recovers quickly. I really believe he feels sorry for them and thinks if they aren't as happy as he is, something must be really, really wrong with them.

All the same, I do try to let him know that I hear him...I'm excited with him...all the while, I'm trying to telepathically tell him that people don't mean to be insensitive. Sometimes people are just stupid.

I'm sure that's the one bit of wisdom he'll choose to share with his teacher someday.

No comments: