14 May 2009

Goodbyes...

I hate saying goodbye.

Goodbye has a permanent ring to it. I don't like it. Sometimes I can manage a "Be careful," or a "See you later," but I will avoid the G word if at all possible. But I can't avoid it this week.

Two very dear people in my life, my nephew and his wife (who I call my niece, because she is), have gone and done something crazy. They've chosen to follow their hearts and dreams all the way to Oklahoma. Who does that? Crazy dream followers.

I joke about it because in all honesty, I'm happy for them. Even a little jealous. It is the opportunity of all opportunities. But I also joke because if I think about it seriously for more than five seconds I get all weepy. Like now, for instance. And I try not to do weepy in front of an audience. It's for this same reason that I haven't even told my son that two of his favorite people in the world are moving six hours away. He will be fine. I will be a blubbering mess.

That being said, I've decided to give my little farewell speech on here, A)because I am a writer not a speaker, and B) because why shouldn't God and everybody else get to see?

Cody...I am so proud of you. I have pretty much been proud of you your entire life. This job is a dream come true for you, and no one deserves it more. Not many people get paid for doing something love and done for free most of their lives. Kevin and I will miss getting to hang out with you, but it's a pretty safe bet that Jackson and Sadie will miss you more. Thank you so much for loving my kids. And for teaching my husband how to be a real life country boy.

Karen...I remember, when you and Cody first started dating, that I didn't quite know what to make of you. The one thing I did know was that you seemed perfectly happy riding four wheelers with Cody and spotlighting with Cody and doing redneck country things with Cody...and that made you okay in my book. Getting to know you has been so much fun. You are funny and patient and thoughtful...and you laugh at my jokes even if they aren't all that funny and you are really laughing at me. You love my babies as much as Cody does, and that means so much more than I can tell you. You are a dear friend to me and I will miss that most of all. I'm also really sad that you won't be around to constantly give my husband a hard time.

I love you both.
I will miss you both.
I still hate goodbyes.

2 comments:

Kevin Reed said...

I really feel like Boys II Men should be playing in the background!!! Well done, my pretty!

Mark Carter said...

We need a new post. This one is really good, but I like reading your blog and I feel sad each time I read this. New post would solve this problem.