08 March 2011

Our Anniversary Weekend

One of the things I look forward to every year is our anniversary getaway.  Every year we make it our mission to find somewhere special to go for a night or two, just the two of us.  Some have been more memorable than others ( the 7F Lodge in College Station is amazing, Fredericksburg during their music festival was entertaining, and our stay in the _ at Salado was really unique--in a good way!).  We planned this year to make our way down to Gruene, but hit a snag.  In years past when we've headed south, our trip usually ends in Austin for the state basketball tournament (It's a family tradition.  Some people go skiing; my family watches basketball.).  Because Kevin is self-employed, he only gets paid if he works and taking off an entire week can be costly.  So...we opted to put Gruene on hold (it would be better in summer anyway) and find somewhere closer to home.

I'm usually the one to search out some cozy little bed and breakfast, but this year Kevin took the reins after I suggested going to Grapevine.  Next thing I know, he calls me and lets me know that he has two nights booked at the Gaylord Texan. 

Awe. Some. 

As much as I love the bed and breakfast experience, getting the chance to be pampered after five months of being a mother of three sounded like Heaven.  And this weekend was all about pampering.  My husband knocked this weekend out of the park.

When we got to our room on Friday, Kevin and arranged for flowers to be delivered and have the "romantic turn down service" ...so many sweet little touches. 

If you know me, you know that taking pictures on weekends like this isn't my strong suit.  Trust me when I say we had a great time.  We spent most of Saturday in the Relache' Spa inside the Gaylord.  I'm such a spa freak.  It was one of the best massages I've ever had.  Of course, after carrying a carseat for five months, any massage would probably be a good massage! :)

Saturday afternoon we ventured to historic downtown Grapevine. If you haven't been there, I highly recommend it. 

Saturday night we went to Pappas Bros. Steakhouse.  Oh my.  It's a special occasion place, for sure. But it was delicious! 

After we slept in just a bit on Sunday, we packed our bag and headed back to Van.  I love that our weekend fell at the beginning of our spring break, because now I'm refreshed and ready for a week with my kiddos!

Of course, I may need another massage by the end of the week. :)

No comments: