01 February 2010

Monday, Monday

I've always thought Mondays got a bad rap. This particular Monday, lived up to all the hype. Not in any sort of life-altering way. Just in the how-the-heck-does-so-much-stupid-crap-happen-before-8 a.m. sort of way. Literally. Before 8:00 a.m.

In order to tell this story to the fullest, I should start around 12:30 a.m. when Sadie woke up crying. Sadie, our deep sleeper. The one who has disturbed our sleep approximately 3 times since she was four months old. Did I mention that Jackson--our frequent waker--was spending the night with Nannie and Dado? Kevin got up with her the first time--and if I weren't so nice, here would be where I would insert his crappy Monday story, but I will refrain--I got up with her the next four times. Yes, four. In one night, she doubled her up in the middle of the night count. Every time, she stopped crying when I entered the room. She didn't have fever, and didn't seem to feel particularly bad. I held her, turned on her music, even tried putting her in bed with us, but nothing seemed to be what she wanted (again, not crying, just wide awake)...so, me being the mom of the year that I am, put her back to bed and decided that the next time she cried, we would let her self-sooth. She started crying about 15 minutes later, and Kevin got up and shut our door. Apparently, however, I can't sleep with our door closed and knowing my baby is crying. So I stayed awake. And listened for her cry. Because that was the plan, right? Finally, around 3:30, I couldn't take the sound of her crying anymore. I opened our door to silence. What? I thought it was just a temporary respite. I listened. Nothing. So instead of going back to bed, I go back upstairs. I sneak in her room to find her zonked out, and from the looks of it, she'd been that way for quite some time.

I was hearing things. And losing sleep. For TWO HOURS.

I also woke up late. And I have morning duty this week. So instead of eating my bowl of cereal at home, I poured my milk in a coffee mug (with a lid) and put my cereal in a baggy and thought I'd made a brilliant decision. When I got to school, I stuck the mug in my purse for approximately two minutes so that I could open the door.

In case you're wondering, two minutes is just enough time for 10 ounces of milk to leak out of a sealed coffee mug and into the bottom of my purse.

Around 8:05 my husband emails me to say that my mom thought Sadie had a sore throat and fever. Mother of the year, that's me.

But Monday didn't get the best of me. Or Sadie for that matter. I think she might be teething, but no fever right now.

I wish I could say the same for my purse.

3 comments:

Mark Carter said...

And Kevin was telling me the one time he got up - He just about died falling down the stairs. haha! When its rains it pours I guess.

Leslie said...

Poor Sadie, and poor you with very little sleep...that is so hard!!!! I am glad she doesn't have any fever now...hopefully tonight will be better!! Blessings...

Kim Hoegger Home said...

Wow, I love your blog and you're all grown up...so happy for you! God bless you, Kim