24 February 2010

Plan B..or C...or...whatever.

As a parent, I have learned that having a Plan B is essential to my sanity. Plan A's only work out part of the time, right?

Like when my son was in the early potty training stages and we went on a shopping trip to Tyler with real big boy underwear on, and he refused to go to the bathroom when I took him. No, he chose to go to the bathroom on the floor in Dillard's.

Plan B.

Or when Kevin proposed and I decided that June 2nd was the most sensible day to get married, because March 6th was too close to the TAKS test (yes, I know, roll your eyes. I do too.)...and then about a week into our engagement I realized that letting the T.E.A plan my wedding day was ridiculous.

Plan B.

Or when Jackson was 10 months old and we decided to be wise and start trying to have a baby then because it took us a year and a half to get pregnant the first time. Two months later I took a pregnancy test into the Dillard's bathroom and cried all the way home.

Plan B. And perhaps some anxiety medication.

You get the point. I also realize I have had some pretty significant life moments in Dillard's. (If you are employed by Dillard's and reading this, I totally made up the part about my son peeing on the floor of your store. He would never do that. Noooo. Not by the Fossil watches. Not right before we sprinted out of the store. Not him. Never.)

Anyway.

After Sadie was born, we wanted to learn from our previous miscalculations. We made a deal that after--and only after--Sadie turned 2, we would try again for baby Reed #3 until I turned 36. I could lie right now and say that would give us a 6 year window, but in reality it gave us right at five months. If, at the end of that five months we weren't pregnant, we were going to take that as a sign that we were meant to be a family of four.

Plan A was almost a go when my husband came up with the wonderful idea of a family vacation in New Mexico next Christmas. When we proposed the idea to everyone, it was well-received and less than two days after Christmas we were already reserving a cabin for next year.

In all the excitement, someone reminded us about our plan. Wouldn't it be funny to be nine months pregnant in the middle of a snow covered mountain?!?! Unmedicated labor at 5000 feet! Good times!

Yeah boy. Whee.

Perhaps we were going to need a Plan B. Again.

We decided to stick to Plan A until the end of February. If Reed#3 had yet to materialize, we would wait and try again from August until the end of the year.

Plan B.


Or in this case, not! How 'bout that?


3 comments:

Leslie said...

OK, so I am awake with Bunt 3 pressing on my bladder and I check my facebook on my phone an see this post!!!! I AM SO EXCITED for you all!! I love ow the Lord takes our plans and then maks His own:)!! Many congrats!! Blessings...

Jen said...

I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Now you have to name the baby with an A name! Andy or Andi! There, I have already put my two cents in :) btw...I finally got a blog "life is better when set to music"...my be a minute before I actually get something up there...may need some pointers to make it cute ;) CONGRATS MY FRIEND!!

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS to you all! I am sure your family is soooo excited. GOOD LUCK with the pregnancy and have lots of fun. Now, you have caught up with the Hawkins clan. :)