04 June 2010

The Big Reveal...

When we decided to tell the kids we were having another baby, we asked them both whether they wanted to have a baby brother or a baby sister.  Jackson immediately said a baby brother. So did Sadie, but she tends to go with whatever Jackson wants.  As time went on, Jackson stuck to his guns, but Sadie would waiver depending on the day...boy, girl--brother, sister...it didn't seem to matter.   For Kevin and I, it wasn't so much a matter of whether we wanted another boy or girl, but what we thought would be best for our kids.  Talk about a tough spot!  In some ways, I really wanted Sadie to have a sister.  I have two wonderful sisters, whom I love dearly, but both of them were out of the house by the time I turned 5...so our relationship is a little different than what we would've had if we were closer in age.  I really wanted that for Sadie.  At the same time, Kevin really wanted a brother for Jackson.  He didn't have a brother growing up and hoped Jackson would have someone to get into trouble with have adventures with.  He also watched Sadie trying to keep up with her brother and his buddies, and felt like she also needed a partner in crime.

So....as the day of  our 20 week sonogram approached, we tried to prepare both our kids for both outcomes.  Like I said, Sadie seemed completely okay with either result...but Jackson...oh boy.  Literally.  At night we would have serious discussions about how God was going to give us what He thought we needed.  If it was a baby sister, I said, that meant that he thought Jackson would be okay without a baby brother.  His response was almost always, "I think God wants me to have a baby brother," or "But I really WANT a baby brother!"  So much for reasoning with a four year old.

When the day of the sonogram arrived, we took both kids with us.  They were so excited to finally get to see pictures of Baby Reed #3.  I showed them their sonogram pictures so they would know what to expect and understand that it wasn't going to be like seeing a baby on TV.  We took our video camera along to record reactions for posterity, and while we were getting gas in Lindale, Kevin asked both kids what they hoped the baby would be.  Sadie said she wanted a baby sister...but again, she seemed pretty happy about the idea of a baby period.  Jackson looked straight into the camera and said, "But it could be a baby brother.  THAT would make me happy." 

I could've cried.

When we got to the doctor's office, the kids were so excited.  They had been to the doctor with me early in my pregnancy, but stayed in the car with my mom.  So they felt super special actually getting to come in the office and see what all the hubbub was about.  They did a great job, but it probably helped that we were the only ones in the office (my doctor was off that day, so it was only sonogram appointments that were scheduled).  When we were called into the sonogram room, the kids took their seats and Kevin asked if he could video the appointment.  I laughed because the sonographer eyed us a moment before consenting.  She said some people come in with 6 family members with all kinds of cameras, and they get kindof obnoxious about their videos, "But you look pretty normal."  HA!

As soon as the sonographer put the sonogram thingy on my belly, I knew what we were having.  Let's just say the baby, um,. bared all...but I waited for the official word--and Jackson's reaction.

"It's a girl!" the sonographer said.

"Aww man!" Jackson said quietly.  I had to laugh.  He tried to smile for the camera, but it was half-hearted.

He was a great sport though, and was especially in awe when he heard the baby's heartbeat.  After his initial reaction, he was nothing but positive.

So we're having another baby girl.  And that's fine by us.

She may just be "Baby Girl Reed" forever, because names are eluding us.

Of course, Jackson is still holding out hope that baby sister might end up being a baby brother.  He tells me these things when we have our deep discussions before bed.  This may also explain why baby sister kicks so much when he's around.

No comments: