06 November 2010

Postpartum Ponderings

Jackson graciously shared his Batman cape with his baby sister.
Monumental.
Full disclosure:  As I write this, I'm not sure how much pondering I'm going to do.  But that title has been in my head for weeks, and I just had to use it! :)

First, our new addition is a month old now, and I can honestly say this has been the easiest four weeks post-baby we've ever had.  Annabelle is a wonderful baby.  She was honestly fussier in the hospital than she has been at home.  I am beginning to wonder if chaos relaxes her.  At this very moment, Jackson and Sadie are playing within 10 feet of her--they've wrestled, played house, built a car out of a chair, jumped, screamed, you name it--and she is sleeping peacefully in her bouncer.  She isn't a big fan of her bouncer, but as long as she has her brother and sister around to pacify her, she's a happy girl.  Honestly, she is almost always a happy girl--unless you (and by you I mean me) wait a minute past her appointed feeding time (she is the only one who determines that time and don't you forget it, mister).

Speaking of feeding...the third time is apparently the charm for that too.  With Jackson, I remember a couple of weeks filled with nights of crying--him and me--because we couldn't figure it all out.  I remember sitting on the edge of the bed, sobbing, and asking Kevin how he felt about only children.  Once we did figure out what we were doing, I assumed breastfeeding any subsequent children would be a piece of cake.

Right.

Let's just say Sadie and I didn't mesh too well either. Oh, I knew what I was doing, but she just wasn't interested.  We tried and tried, and managed to muddle through four months, but that was all we could take. I honestly can't say why, but it was a mutual decision and she seems none the worse for it (if she's lost a couple of IQ points and graduates third in her class and Jackson graduates first, I will probably never hear the end of it...but that bridge is a few years down the road...).

But Annabelle is a natural.  From the very first feeding, she knew what to do.  It probably helped that I was fully prepared for problems should they arise.  But the only problems we've had have been the occasional bout with reflux or a tummy ache (oh, and most recently a nasty 24 hours of mastitis--horrible, terrible and no fun, but just for me, luckily), and those problems have only happened during daylight hours.  It is amazing what a big difference rest-filled nights make.  Kevin is getting a full night's sleep every night in his own bed, and Annabelle and I sleep great between the one or two feedings that happen between midnight and 6 a.m.

And speaking of sleeping...

I want to pause right here for any new mothers, expectant mothers, or potentially new or expectant mothers that might be reading this to get their car keys and wallets.  Because if you've ever had a newborn that just didn't sleep well in that bassinet beside your bed during those first few months, you're going to want to run right out and buy what I consider a miracle in a box. Yes, I said miracle. Considering Jackson had to sleep in his carseat for three months because he screamed any time we put him in his bed, and considering Sadie woke up screaming every two hours and usually cried for a great deal of the night, I don't think MIR. A. CLE. is too strong a word.

Behold...
(Right here, if I had my way, the sun would beam down on your computer and angels would begin singing the Hallelujah chorus.  Yes, I obsess.  Don't judge me.)


I saw this in the Fisher-Price catalog before we even got pregnant and thought if we did have a third baby, I would be purchasing this sleeper.  My Aunt Betty and cousin Amanda gave this to us as a baby gift, and I couldn't possibly thank them enough.  Now, if you follow the link above to Amazon.com, you're going to read a few (five or six) reviews that blame this sleeper for flat spots on their babies' heads and damaging their neck muscles. I am not belittling their problems at all, but I do think blaming one particular product is a little strong.    You will also find 136 five star reviews (out of 164 total reviews).  But of course, we always worry a little about the "what ifs"...so here's my two cents:

Yes, it has a hard shell beneath the cushioned fabric. I put a cloth diaper between the two layers just to be safe.  HOWEVER, our pack and play was just as hard beneath what I think is a thinner layer of cushion.  But Annabelle sleeps great in this. I only put her in it at night, but now I don't lose sleep worrying about her sleeping on her back (neither Jackson nor Sadie ever wanted to sleep on their backs). When we finish our middle of the night snacks, she goes right back to sleep--even if she doesn't burp!   Other bonuses:  It is very light.  If you wanted, you could lift it with one hand and move it anywhere.  It is super-easy to put together.  The cushioned part comes off easily for washing.  It is super sturdy.  It is a perfect height to see your child from the bed.  It is easy to rock and seems to soothe Annabelle easily. Oh.  And it is relatively inexpensive, which is good, because it is obviously not for long term use...six months tops. But I still love it.

So.



One of the biggest moments of her first weeks home was her first bath.  Not a big moment for Annabelle, necessarily, but for Sadie. Ever since she helped give Annabelle her bath in the hospital, she considers herself an expert.  She spent the entire time grinning and telling me what we were going to do next.
That's how the past month has been.  So much fun.  So little time! She is growing so fast.

And Christmas is coming.  Oh. my.

No comments: