25 July 2008

Why I Love Don Williams

I grew up the youngest of four siblings. My older sisters and brother were 18, 14, and 12 when I was born. Although I did hear my fair share of lullabies and kiddie songs growing up, I was also exposed to the seventies pop music scene practically from birth...

Donnie and Marie,

Neil Diamond,

Andy Williams,

the BeeGees,

Dolly Parton,

...I should probably be a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I do still actually like all of the above-mentioned artists. And I still could sing along with them. I have no shame.

Luckily, I also heard some pretty classic artists as well--the Eagles, the Beatles, James Taylor, Chicago, Billy Joel, and, thank Heaven, Don Williams. All of these guys have prominent spots on my iPod. I even walked down the aisle to a Beatles' song (In My Life).

With both my babies, I would sing to them when we were alone (although I don't mind singing amongst other voices, I'm not about to "make a joyful noise" all by myself in front of other people over the age of 3). Of course, they've heard the standard "Jesus Loves Me" and "You are my Sunshine," but since I'm not one for repetition, I have to mix it up a little. I try not to sing the same old lullabies. I like to sing songs I loved as a child, or songs I think apply to children--children’s song or not (like they care whether they’re hearing "I See the Moon" or "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "Piano Man").

For example, a while back Sadie was in a bit of a mood, and I needed to fold laundry. My son had taken my husband out to play (you might think it’s the other way around, but I’m not so sure), and Sadie and I were all alone in a quiet house, so I put her in her car seat, inserted pacifier, and prayed for contentment as I rocked her in her seat. I began doing my American Idol impersonation, and luckily, Sadie calmed right down. Smiled even. But I can only spontaneously sing a limited number of songs, and I had a lot of laundry to fold. After a few rounds of "Rainbow Connection," and "Jesus Loves Me" (with some Beatles and Dixie Chicks thrown in for good measure), I was drawing a blank. Sadie was not pleased.


That’s when he came to mind. I love Don Williams. I don't remember when I first heard a Don Williams song...they somehow leave you with the feeling that you've heard them somewhere before. His voice is smooth and comforting. Like your favorite sweatshirt. Like sitting on a back porch in your rocking chair, watching the sun set with a cool breeze keeping the bugs away. I love that. So does Sadie.

As I started singing "Good Old Boys Like Me" to my baby girl--it worked a lot better when I sang it to my son, but whatever--she went back to her happy place. I memorized that song when Jackson was born because it’s a perfect boy song...but all his songs have something simple and childlike about them. I don’t know if it relaxed Sadie more than anything else I sang, but I loved singing that old song to her. And she seemed to like it too. It wasn't the first or last time my children will be serenaded by a Don Williams song.

So if you haven't already, run right out and buy a Don Williams compilation CD. You won't regret it. One listen to "Lord, I Hope This Day is Good" will put a smile on your face and your soul at ease.

Thanks Don.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are quite the writer ms angie! I love the rise and fall of your story. And I, too, love Don Williams!