04 August 2008

3:02 a.m.

I can't remember the last time I was awake at 3 a.m. voluntarily. But here I am. My husband is away at cow school (seriously), and whenever he's away, I don't sleep as well, but tonight is really unusual (and unfortunate, because Sadie will be awake in 4 hours).

About four hours ago, I was playing around on the internet, visiting my friend Brenna's site, when I clicked on a link on her page. It is a blog titled, "Bring the Rain." (I've added the link to my page to make it easier for you to find. ) Angie Smith is the author of the site. I encourage you to take a moment (or four hours) out of your day to sit and read her story. Start at the beginning. Have a box of kleenex handy. Or two. It will break your heart and inspire you and remind you how big our God is. Her faith--her unwavering belief that God is in control of it all--caused me to take stock of my own faith. Could I trust like her? Could I rest in His promises? If I were placed in her circumstance, could I breathe in and out and put one foot in front of the other?

Don't think for even a minute that this site is morbid or morose. It is a beautiful love story. It is one of, if not the, most moving displays of a mother's love for her daughter. It made me think about my children. It made me want to be a better parent. A more godly parent who teaches my kids how much God loves them every single day.

Because that's why we're here, after all.

No comments: