09 September 2008

The Silver Lining

This morning I had to go to a workshop in Kilgore, about a fifty minute from my house. Normally I enjoy workshops, but about twenty miles of my journey was spent driving in torrential rain. To put it mildly, I HATE driving in the rain. Any rain. Hard rain makes me a nervous wreck. The usual fifty minute drive took an hour and 10 minutes because my white knuckles and I chose to drive 45 mph on interstate.
I took the extra time to think about how I would rather be going through natural childbirth again than driving in the rain...as a matter of fact, it occurred to me that I would endure that pain ten more times if it meant I didn't have to ever drive in the rain again.

THAT'S how much I hate it.

Luckily, God was listening when I asked Him (in complete and total seriousness) to stop the rain so that I would make it to Kilgore without an ulcer, so the rest of the drive--and the rest of the day for that matter--was fine. When I picked the kids up from Tanya's, Jackson was telling me all about the rainy day and wanting to splash in the water. So the three of us went on a mini adventure down our dirt road search of mud puddles.
Jackson got to wear his hand-me-down rainboots and loved every single minute of it.
Sadie was a little less than impressed.


The best part was watching how Jackson interacted with his sister. He is FINALLY starting to like her a little bit and want her around. He kept telling me to push the stroller through the puddles because "Sadie wants to go too!"

After we managed to splash in every single mud puddle on our road, we made our way back to the house. I realized that without the day's stormy beginning, the happy ending would've been impossible.
Funny how that works.

1 comment:

momto2monkeys said...

I just love the look on little Sadie's face and the fun Jackson is having jumping in the puddles. Such sweet moments. It makes me wish I could freeze-frame them for you.