18 September 2008

Small Town Homecoming

Last week was homecoming week in our little town.

When I was a little girl, homecoming rivaled Halloween in community involvement. The bonfire, the parade, the pep rally, the mums, and finally, the big game...all were huge deals to me. Although some of the traditions have given way to avoiding law suits (farewell, bonfire) and others have taken on a life of their own (hello homecoming kings and duchesses), it's still pretty special and I enjoy getting to take the kiddos to some of the highlights (i.e. the parade and the game... because the bonfire pep rally is gone and the new pep rally is past my kids' bedtime...but I'm not bitter).
Kevin had a landman thing the night of the parade, so Jackson, Sadie and I went to the parade on our own. I love parade watching in our town because my dad's office has always been a prime parade viewing location. Sadie still isn't quite old enough to appreciate the finer points of a parade (especially when said parade doesn't start until AFTER HER BEDTIME...but again, I'm not bitter. At. All.), but Jackson was excited about it all week long. He was a candy grabbing fool and loved seeing some of his favorite people on floats.

The game on Friday night was another good time. Jackson loves the idea of a football game, but not so much the watching part...so we make it to half time and consider that our own personal victory. I don't have a picture of Jackson's homecoming attire, but I took this picture of Sadie because people, I made that bow myself. Yep. You might be thinking, Wow, Angie is quite a little crafty girl, and you would be thinking wrong. I wish I was crafty, but what I was last Friday night was desperate. I have still not quite fully transitioned into girly dressing mode, so accessorizing a nine month old does NOT come naturally! Around Wednesday it occurred to me that I needed to put a bow in my daughter's hair so she wouldn't be mistaken as a little boy (something I really don't take offense at, because seriously, she looks just like her brother at that age). I had no time to drive to a real city to shop, and nowhere around sold cute girly bows. So I resorted to craftiness. It was fun. I felt a little bit like MacGyver meets Martha Stewart.

1 comment:

Christen said...

I love the bow! It was cute in person too! I loved homecoming, too. I wish Spring Hill made it special for the alumni (which is the whole point, right?), but I still enjoy the king and queen stuff.