21 January 2011

The 30 Days of Me: Day One

When I first saw the "30 days of Me" challenge on Karen's blog, my initial thought was, "Really?"  But as I read through this little blogging challenge, I felt my creative juices begin to flow.  If you're a blogger--or if you're not--I think you should participate.  It's not nearly as self-centered as it sounds, AND it isn't just one of those "What did you eat last Thursday?" kinds of lists. It's really more a celebration of the people, places and things in your life that make you who you are.  Which really makes it more about them, and less about you doesn't it?

Day One says to include a picture of yourself along with 10 facts.  The 10 facts I can do...no problemo.  But of the thousand or so pictures on my computer, 10 are of me and I don't care for any of them!  So I searched and thought and searched some more, and then decided to ask my husband to send me a picture he had at his office...it was when I felt the prettiest.  Yes, it's almost 7 years old. But it's my blog, dadgummit, and it doesn't matter that the picture is almost 7 years old! 

I love the backstory to it:  It was Valentine's Day 2004, and when we scheduled the photo session a few weeks earlier, I had no idea that we would get 4 INCHES OF SNOW that morning. At first we discussed rescheduling, but Karen Price and Cathy Dykes--the brilliant photographers behind this picture--were more than willing to venture out into the muddy slush that remained that afternoon.  It was still FREEZING, but it was still a wonderful day.



And here are the 10 facts...

1.  When I was 8 years old, I was riding my four-wheeler around my parent's land.  I came across a huge opening in the woods that to me was the most beautiful place on earth.  I went home and told my mom and dad that I was going to build my house there one day.  And I did.

2.  I had a very vivid imagination as a child.  I see that same imagination in my kids and it makes me smile.

3. Drying my daughter's hair is one of my favorite things to do. She's very patient with me while I pretend to be a hairstylist.  And her hair looks so beautiful afterward.  And I know she's not going to let me do it forever.

4.  I had a poem published in college.  Yes, it was just a college publication, but I was published nonetheless.  The funniest part?  My significant other at the time thought the poem was about him.  And it wasn't.

5.  I was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in high school.  I still have no idea what my peers were thinking.  Ironically, I teach next door to another person voted "Most Likely to Succeed."  Both graduates of VHS now teaching at VJH, and both feeling pretty successful.  :)

6.  I loved high school and hated college... so much so that the very thought of graduate school makes me break out in a cold sweat.

7.  As much as I love our house now, I still miss our little house on Stadium Lane.

8.  I remember several years ago I asked someone whose singing ability amazes me why she didn't try out for American Idol or try to break into the music business.  She said, "I love to sing so much.  If someone who knew something about music told me I wasn't very good, I don't think I could get over it."  That's how I feel about writing.

9.  I am a total homebody, who is blessed to be married to another homebody.  Some nights we look at each other and say, "We need friends."  But then we'd have to leave our house at night.

10.  Every year on our anniversary, Kevin and I take a little trip to celebrate.  Part of the fun is finding a cool bed and breakfast.  Yes, we are B&B people.

No comments: