25 January 2011

Day 5: A favorite memory...

This picture has nothing to do with the "memory" part of this day, but it's one of my favorites. 

When I was a kid, before I started school, my mom and I had a morning ritual.  We would wait for everyone else to head off to school or work, and then we would eat breakfast while we watched cartoons or Sesame Street.  I would climb up in her lap and snuggle and share "toast 'ems and coke."  Chocolate Pop Tarts. With lots of butter.  No it wasn't healthy.  But I loved it, every drippy morsel.  And I loved her even more. We would talk and laugh at the TV and plan our day.   She would tell me stories, my most requested one being about the day I was born (I wasn't self-absorbed at all!).  Since I was child #5, she had the patience to repeat herself until my attention wandered elsewhere.

I think about this time a lot when I snuggle with my own kids.  Most mornings, there just isn't time...which I hate.  But some rare mornings, everything just works out.  I will be up early, Jackson or Sadie will crawl into my lap, and we'll watch cartoons and talk.  And even though I've never purchased chocolate Pop Tarts on my own, and even though real Coke hasn't crossed my lips since age 8, the two moments in time seem so similar. 

Maybe it's because it all goes by too fast. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this picture could almost be Mrs. Kim and Sadie. It is crazy. Love the picture!!! And am really loving reading your blog.