09 February 2011

Day 16: Someone who inspires me

When I started thinking about this post, I knew I couldn't choose just one person.  One of my life's many blessings is that I am surrounded by people that inspire me.  I happen to be a sister to three of them.

I was born a "few" years later than Debbie, Kim, and Andy (John, to those of you who went to school with him, but seriously? He's an Andy.), so we didn't have a typical sibling relationship.  My mom was 36 when I was born, and they all thought she might keel over in the delivery room.  She was SO OLD, after all. Yes, they were all a lot older than me.  But I can't imagine a better way to grow up.

Debbie was 18 when I was born, and she was married and out of the house before I was 2.  Kim and Andy like to say that she was bossy, but I don't remember that. Maybe that was the effect I had on her...everyone just mellowed when I was around! :)  Debbie and I are alike in many ways:  we were both drum majors in high school, both English majors in college, both teachers as adults.  But Debbie also possesses qualities that I can only hope to have some day.  She's always been the organized one.  The one who pulls out her daytimer any time a potential get-together is mentioned.  The one who sends her kids off to church camp and donates any clothes they haven't worn in a year to charity.  The one who taught me the beauty of a ginormous purse and a great cup of coffee.  She's also the diplomatic one; though she is rumored to have lost her temper a time or two, I've never seen it.  I always admired her relationship with her kids.  I can remember being in awe as a teenager at how her kids told her EVERYTHING (seriously.  And if you know Mark...).  She is kind and patient and objective and an amazing listener. 

Kim is only 15 years (ish) older than me.  I actually remember her in the house with me.  We even did sister-type things together. We would bust out the suntan lotion and hop in my baby pool.  She would take me cruising for boys.  She would tell me stories at bedtime.  If I claimed to have the hiccups, she would let me have a spoonful of sugar.  I was 5 when Kim got married, and I was her flower girl.  I stood at the front of the church and cried like a baby because she was leaving home.  If you know Kim, none of this surprises you.  She is quite possibly the most thoughtful person I know.  Care-taking is her gift.  She loves her family deeply and cherishes her friendships.  She is outgoing and fun.  She is so much like my mom it's almost scary; but it's in all the most positive ways.  She cares about her community, her co-workers, and her school.  She works tirelessly in support of the things she believes in...I don't know how she does it!  She will be the one getting all those awards for things like that...I will be sitting in the crowd giving her a standing ovation! 

Andy is 12 years older than me.  He was my hero growing up.  Honest to goodness--I thought that boy could do no wrong.  He also let me hang out with him more than most big brothers would.  When Kim moved out, he let me sleep with him.  He would even read me bedtime stories--except unlike Kim, he would start with the cover, then the title page, then the copyright page...he hoped I would get bored and let him quit, but I never did!  He taught me how to ride a bike and how to ride a four wheeler...he was the coolest person I knew.  He was even my peewee basketball coach one year.  Then, when I was a teenager, he changed.  And he wasn't my hero for a long, long time.  We barely even spoke.  It's one of those things, I realize now, that he had to go through to find his gift.   But of the four of us, he may just be the most inspirational of all.  He has this amazing ability to help people. I have had people tell me that if it weren't for him, they don't know how they would've made it through.  He has a story to tell--one he's now willing and able to tell--and he inspires others.  Thankfully it has a happy ending.  He is the brother I remember, the one I love. 

One of my very favorite places to be in the whole wide world is surrounded by my family.  It's pretty easy to see why.

No comments: