28 February 2011

Day 29: A Picture that ALWAYS makes me smile

I love this picture.

I love the little girl in it too, even though she's almost 14 now.

Since the day she was born, my niece Holley has been this bright little light in my life.  It was the first time in my life that I got to be the "favorite aunt"...or the favorite anything for that matter.  Each of my brother's five girls has an aunt or uncle that they just took to instantly.  Holley is mine.  When she was a baby, she looked just like me.  It makes me feel good when people still see a resemblance, because I think she's a beauty.

In her 13ish years, we've spent hours on Nannie's back porch swing, done lots of cooking, and spent many Saturdays being lazy and watching "Say Yes to the Dress."  

When I was single, she kept me from feeling lonely.  She reminded me that I was special to somebody.

When I started dating Kevin, she was the first person in our family to officially meet him.  She approved.  She liked the way he opened the car door for me.  She's a smart girl.  I hope she remembers that when she starts dating.

When I found out that I was pregnant with Jackson, she was the first person (besides our parents) that we told.  Jackson was due on her birthday.  He was born three days early, but in a way I think that's better.  She deserves her own special day.

We don't get as much "just us girls" time as we used to.  In some ways, that makes me appreciate her more, because she is incredibly understanding about it.  She humors my kids when they drag her upstairs to play.  I keep telling myself that someday soon I'm going to send my kids off for a Nannie or Nana day and take Holley to get a pedicure or something, because before I know it, she's going to be all grown up with kids of her own.

She makes me proud.

She makes me happy.

She makes me smile.

1 comment:

Kim said...

This picture makes me smile too!! Two very special girls in my life!! Seems like this picture was only yesterday, now Holley is SO grown up!! You and Holley are both beautiful, inside and out!! I love you both very much!!!