23 February 2011

Day 25: My Day

My days have had essentially the same view since 2002.



I love my job.

I teach in the school district where I spent 12.5 years as a student.  I teach and have taught with people that taught me.  I waited 4 years before I could even interview here because there was literally no turnover.  It is a great district with great people.

I've been working at the junior high for nine years, and in those nine years, I've changed rooms four times (three of the four times were in the first three years...that's the price you pay for being the new girl).  I like my current room.  It's always interesting, because you never know exactly what temperature you might encounter when you walk through the door. In August, the heat comes on. One day while I was on maternity leave, I got a text message saying it was 41 degrees!  Never a dull moment!

When I was student teaching, I knew that I wanted to teach 7th graders, and I've had the pleasure (yes, really) of doing that very thing for those nine years.  Every time I tell someone that I teach junior high, I get something to the effect of, "Wow! Who'd you tick off to get that assignment?"  But I love that age.  I've taught pre-K kids all the way up to 8th graders.  My favorite was always seventh. Seventh graders never change.  Until they become eighth graders.  I'm blessed in that every year there are kids that seem to actually like seeing me every morning.  And I'm always learning from them.  They are interesting conversationalists.  And they are great fun to joke around with, because on most occasions, they get it.

The "bonus" of teaching at the junior high is that I also have great co-workers.  I get to work with some of my best friends. We laugh on a regular basis and have so much fun. They are my "go-to girls." I'm also blessed with an amazing boss who understands what really matters in life.  More than once he's said to me, "Your family comes first.  Do whatever you need to do, and we'll handle things here."  It really is a great place.

I love my job.

No comments: